As part of the 15th edition of Operation Back to School,
the Board of Trade of Metropolitan Montreal awards stay-in-school scholarships to ten students
Montréal, June 29, 2011 – The Board of Trade of Metropolitan Montreal is proud to award stay-in-school scholarships to ten grade 9, 10 and 11 students in the Greater Montréal area, thanks to the involvement of Operation Back to School business ambassadors. The students received their prize during a ceremony at the closing of the 15th edition of Operation Back to School at Ernst & Young offices.
“The Board of Trade wanted to mark the occasion of the 15th anniversary of Operation Back to School and motivate even more students to obtain a high school diploma and pursue their education by offering them financial assistance,” said Michel Leblanc, President and CEO of the Board of Trade of Metropolitan Montreal.
“We are very pleased with the response from Montréal businesses to our invitation to become Operation Back to School ambassadors and offer a student a stay-in-school scholarship,” Mr. Leblanc said. “The involvement of these companies shows that the Montréal business community is taking action to encourage the next generation.”
“The Board of Trade is convinced that in combining our efforts and resources we can motivate young people to continue their education and tackle the significant challenge of increasing levels of post-secondary education,” Mr. Leblanc said. “We would like to point out that this year we had record participation among teachers and speakers, and I hope that even more will take part next year.”
The following students received stay-in-school scholarships:
- Ernst & Young $2,500 scholarship: Giovana Olmos, École secondaire Henri-Bourassa
- CA de Montréal $2,500 scholarship: Simon Gagnon, École secondaire Calixa-Lavallée
- Qualité Habitation $2,500 scholarship: Emery Painchaud, École secondaire Père-Marquette
- FCT $2,500 scholarship: Naikha Charles, École secondaire Dalbé-Viau
- BMO Financial Group $1,250 scholarship: Sabrina Roche, École secondaire Édouard-Montpetit
- ArcelorMittal $1,250 scholarship: Evelyne Anne Pearse, École secondaire Monseigneur-Richard
- ArcelorMittal $1,250 scholarship: Olivier Bruchesi Boucher, École secondaire Louis-Philippe-Paré
- Ubisoft $1,250 scholarship: Ziad Youssef, École secondaire Sophie-Barat
- Pratt & Whitney $1,250 scholarship: Sarah Maïga, École secondaire Jean-Grou
- Board of Trade of Metropolitan Montreal $1,250 scholarship: Jade Giroux-Renaud, École secondaire Monseigneur-Richard
The Board of Trade would like to thank the following Operation Back to School ambassadors, who offer participating students stay-in-school scholarships: ArcelorMittal, Comptables agréés de Montréal, Ernst & Young, FCT, Qualité Habitation, BMO Financial Group, Pratt & Whitney Canada and Ubisoft. It would also like to thank this year’s patron, Sylvain Vincent, Managing Director for Eastern Canada and member of the Canadian Executive Committee at Ernst & Young LLP, and Chairman of the Board of Trade’s board of directors. Operation Back to School is made possible through the financial support of MR3 Montréal Relève, in partnership with Youth Fusion, Montreal Hooked on School and Universitas Trust Funds.
Photo of the event
The Board of Trade of Metropolitan Montreal has some 7,000 members. Its primary mission is to represent the interests of the business community of Greater Montréal and to provide individuals, merchants, and businesses of all sizes with a variety of specialized services to help them achieve their full potential in terms of innovation, productivity and competitiveness. The Board of Trade is Quebec’s leading private economic development organization.
- 30 -
Board of Trade of Metropolitan Montreal
Tel.: 514 871-4000, ext. 4047