As part of federal consultations for the 2020 budget, the Chamber is making recommendations to the Government of Canada.
The Chamber believes the 2020 budget should be an opportunity to improve the competitiveness of businesses in Quebec and Montréal, as well as those in Canada, while providing the leeway needed to respond to any potential downturn in the economy.
The Chamber has outlined three principles that should guide the development of the next Canadian budget:
1. Spending must be carefully managed given uncertainty surrounding a possible marked slowdown in global economic growth;
2.The government must place priority on financing structuring interventions for the city’s economy;
3. Government measures must increase Canada’s competitiveness in the realms of taxation, productivity and the transition to a low-carbon economy.
Based on these principles, we are making four recommendations to ensure the prosperity of all regions of the country:
1. Eliminate obstacles and lead a national initiative to reinforce internal trade so that businesses, in particular SMEs, can take full advantage of business opportunities on the Canadian market;
2. Increase the number of temporary foreign workers and provide the resources to quickly process applications;
3.Accelerate the implementation of the measures to achieve Canadian GHG reduction targets for 2030;
4. Support strategic projects for Greater Montréal and Quebec.
download pdf (in french only)