1. COLOMBIA AFTER THE ELECTIONS
Ambassador of Colombia
Embassy of Colombia to Canada
2. OVERVIEW OF THE COLOMBIAN MARKET AND SITUATION IN LATIN AMERICA
Senior Associate, South America
Export Development Canada
3. EXPORT QUEBEC AND MARKET DEVELOPMENT IN COLOMBIA FOR QUEBEC COMPANIES
International business advisor
Export Québec (Ministère de l'Économie, de l'Innovation et des Exportations)
4. LEGAL FRAMEWORK IN COLOMBIA
Alain P. Lecours
Lecours, hébert Lawyers
5. UPCOMING INFRASTRUCTURE PROJECTS
Senior Manager, Transaction Advisory and Global Infrastructure
General Manager, New Markets and Strategy
6. FISCAL REPRESENTATION TO FACILITATE ACCESS TO THE COLOMBIAN MARKET
Senior Team Leader, International Tax Services
7. BUSINESS TESTIMONIALS: SUCCEEDING IN COLOMBIA 1
Executive Vice-President and General Director
Vice-President, finance and administration
8. BUSINESS TESTIMONIALS: SUCCEEDING IN COLOMBIA 2
President and Chief technical officer
THE ACTIVITY IN BRIEF
On June 18, our guest experts will speak to you about the country’s promising sectors, business environment, and economic and political realities.
By the end of the seminar, you will have acquired the necessary know-how to begin the process of expanding into or strengthening your presence on this market. You will also have an opportunity to hear testimonials from businesses active in Colombia, and to network with the speakers and entrepreneurs in attendance.
Then further your expansion efforts by taking part in the trade mission to Bogotá organized by Export Québec and Québec International, which will take place from September 29 to October 3, 2014. This mission will coincide with the Bogotá International and Industrial Trade Show.
A UNIQUE OPPORTUNITY TO…
- Understand the business context in Colombia and its development
- Assess your expansion strategy on the Colombian market
- Identify business opportunities for your company
- Hear the testimonials of Quebec entrepreneurs who have met with success in Colombia
- Create or strengthen your network of contacts on the market
The third largest economy in Latin America, Colombia has been enjoying significant growth over the past decade.
The implementation of sound economic policies, an increase in productivity, responsible budgetary rules, and generous investments in infrastructures best account for this growth. The International Monetary Fund (IMF) is optimistic: Colombia is expected to continue to grow in the coming years.
This favourable economic context is stimulating demand for goods and services in various sectors: construction and infrastructure, energy, green technology, information technology and telecommunications, food processing, medical equipment, the manufacturing sector, machinery, and security and defence. A demand for products and services intended for seniors is also expected to grow in the coming years, as in 2020, 11.5 million Colombians will be of age 50 and older.
In 2011, the signing of a free-trade agreement between Canada and Colombia allowed for the strengthening of established and growing relations between the two countries in the areas of trade and investment.
Between 2010 and 2012, the total value of Quebec exports to Colombia went from about $135 million to about $167 million—an increase of close to 24%. In 2013, the value of Quebec exports to Colombia accounted for close to 21% of total Canadian exports. In comparison, this share was only 9% in 2003 (Institut de la statistique du Québec).
Colombia is an excellent market for Quebec businesses—about 175 of our companies actively export to Colombia (Industry Canada).
Last February, Export Development Canada (EDC) established a representative presence in Bogota, Colombia’s capital, in order to help Canadian companies reap the benefits of the anticipated growth, notably in the infrastructure sector.
Colombia – facts and figures:
- A GDP of close to $370 billion in 2012, an increase of 4.2% compared to 2011
- A vast domestic market: Colombia’s population increased to close to 48 million inhabitants in 2012, with a constantly growing middle class
- Ranked 43rd (out of 185) in terms of ease of doing business (The World Bank’s Doing Business report, 2014)
- A country in the process of becoming a member of the OECD
- A politically stable nation
- One of the Latin American countries that offers direct access to both the Pacific coast and the Caribbean, giving it a leg up on the transportation of goods
- A member country of the Pacific Alliance
WHO SHOULD ATTEND
- Entrepreneurs seeking to enter the Colombian market, or those who are already active on the market but want to learn more.
- The seminar will be of particular interest to businesses in the following sectors:
- Construction and infrastructures
- Energy (electricity, petroleum, natural gas)
- Green technology (notably environmental infrastructures and wastewater treatment)
- Information technology and telecommunications
- Food processing
- Medical equipment
- Security and defence
- Products and services for seniors
Explore the many opportunities Colombia has to offer Quebec companies.