Made up of Argentina, Brazil, Paraguay and Uruguay, the South American trade bloc (Mercosur in Spanish) is the world’s fourth largest trade zone. Established in 1991, this bloc covers a market of 260 million residents and a combined GDP of over $3 trillion.
On February 21, 2020, come discover the many business opportunities available through Mercosur.
This seminar will present the current situation of this South American trade bloc and allow you to learn about its different economic, political, cultural, legal and logistic facets.
A unique opportunity to:
- Assess your business development potential in Mercosur;
- Network with other Quebec companies interested in this market;
- Get advice from experts and companies that are active in this region.
Who should participate in this seminar?
Any company wishing to develop its business in Mercosur or learn more about these markets.
Companies in the following sectors are especially targeted:
- Agriculture and agri-food
- Construction and infrastructure
- Machinery and equipment
- Life sciences
- Clean technology
Mercosur in numbers
- Its four founding countries (Argentina, Brazil, Uruguay and Paraguay) represent a market of 260 million consumers.
- Mercosur represents 82.3% of South America’s total GDP.
- Brazil represents over 50% of the zone’s GDP.
Business opportunities between Canada and Mercosur
- In 2018, bilateral trade between Canada and this trade bloc was close to $9 billion.
- Since 2018, Canada has been negotiating a free trade agreement with Mercosur, which would make it possible to:
- reduce the very high customs tariffs on Canadian products in these markets. These rates can reach up to 35% in several key industries.
- have free movement of goods, services and people in addition to harmonizing laws and common external tariffs.